Short History of Darul Ihsan Orphanage
The Muslimin Trust Fund Association (MTFA), which was founded on 31 August 1904, has among its objectives, the following objective:
“To provide for the maintenance and education of orphans of Muslim parents and other unprotected and indigent Muslim children and to receive the custody of such orphans or other unprotected and indigent Muslim children and to place them in DARUL IHSAN ORPHANAGES for boys and girls established and maintained by the Association.”
In the 1940’s , the Association rented an old house at Lorong M Telok Kurau as its first orphanage housing 25 needy male orphans. In 1941 and during the Japanese Military Occupation, the orphanage moved to a rented shop house at Jalan Sultan. In 1946, the orphanage moved to Lorong 29, Geylang. Here the orphanage was named Malja-il-Aitam or Orphans’ Refuge.
In 1960, with the increasing number of orphans under its charge, MTFA decided to build an orphanage of its own. The building situated at 5 Mattar Road was completed in 1962 and given the name Darul Ihsan Orphanage. The building was officially opened by the Yang Di-Pertuan Negara of Singapore, Encik Yusof Bin Ishak on 21 August 1962.
In 1980, the old 2-storey building was upgraded and extended to a 3-storey building to cater to more orphans and provide more space for their activities.
On 20 November 1972, MTFA conceived the idea of extending the services by the establishment of an orphanage exclusively for girls. This resulted in the building of the Darul Ihsan Girls’ Orphanage at 23 Wan Tho Avenue. This building was completed on 13 June 1980 and was officially opened by then Acting Minister for Social Affairs, Dr Ahmad Mattar.
By 2001, the Darul Ihsan Boys’ Orphanage at 5 Mattar Road was almost 40 years old and the building was demolished to make way for a new structure. The new building was completed in early 2003 and was opened on 5 September 2004 by Mr S R Nathan, the then President of the Republic of Singapore.
The Darul Ihsan Girls’ Orphanage at 23 Wan Tho Avenue went through a major upgrading exercise which was completed on 1 October 2007. The refurbished building was opened on 21 March 2009 by the former First Lady, Puan Hajjah Noor Aishah.